Did you buy a little too many pumpkins for the Halloween celebration? Did you fail to turn them all into Jack-o-lanterns? Well, you don’t have to worry or let them go to waste! Here are two excellent and delicious recipes to use those pumpkins creatively. Enjoy!
Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries
These healthy fries are sweet, salty and totally healthy, making them a perfect snack to make after binging on all those Halloween treats. They’re seasoned to perfection and all the flavors balance each other really well!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
What you need to do:
- Slice the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Remember to keep the seeds so you can roast them later!
- Take each half of the pumpkin and slice off the ends. Slice each half into halves, then peel the resulting four pieces with a vegetable peeler. Finally, slice each peeled piece of pumpkin into ¼” fries.
- Place your fries in a large bowl and add cold water until it reaches a half-inch above the fried. Ideally, you want them to soak overnight, but they’re ready to cook in only 30 minutes.
- Once your fries are done soaking, preheat the oven to 425°. While it reaches that temperature, line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Now, drain the water from your bowl of fries and pat them dry with paper towels.
- Pour half of your cornstarch into a zip-top bag, then add all of your fries before topping the mix with the rest of your cornstarch and close the bag. Now shake vigorously so that all of the fries are well-covered.
- Empty the bag of fries into a large bowl and drizzle them with olive oil, then toss them by hand to coat them. After they’re mostly covered in oil, sprinkle the paprika and garlic powder over them and toss again until they’re well-covered. Spread the fries over the prepared baking sheets.
- Place the sheets in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, flipping them over at about half the baking time so they cook and crisp all the way through. Bake until golden brown.
- While the fries are in the oven, mix the cheese, parsley, and sea salt. Season the fries with this mixture as soon as the fries are out of the oven. Let them cool for a couple of minutes before taking a bite!
They’re an excellent healthy alternative to traditional Big Game day snacks. Enjoy!
Pumpkin, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Quiche
Few things are as easy to make as quiche, but the added pumpkin twist of this recipe will turn this traditional recipe into a favorite of all your future brunches!
Here’s what you’ll need for the filling:
- 30 oz pumpkin, cut into large pieces
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 large eggs
- 7 oz goat cheese
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
And for the dough:
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour + little extra for dusting
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 stick diced unsalted butter
What you need to do:
For the pie crust…
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Take the diced butter and mix quickly with flour and water until a firm dough is formed. Shape it into a rough large rectangle and use it to line an 11×7-inch baking dish.
For the filling…
- Take the chopped, peeled pumpkin and place it inside a large pot, then cover with water. Boil until the pumpkin is soft and tender. Drain the water and puree the pumpkin with a fork.
- Heat your olive oil in a medium frying pan, then add the onions. Once they start to golden, add sugar and let them caramelize for about 5-10 minutes.
- Using another frying pan, saute your spinach with olive oil until it’s reduced by half. Season with salt and pepper then set aside.
- In a bowl, mix your eggs with the goat cheese. Add your walnuts, mashed pumpkins, caramelized onions, and spinach. Season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Pour the mixture you just made into the crust, then bake for about 40 minutes or until it’s cooked through.
And there you go, delicious quiche that will definitely become a staple recipe for your kitchen!